Thursday, October 25, 2007

Making the world safe for democracy



Fifty-seven years ago this morning I was drafted into the Army of the United States. It's not an anniversary I like to remember but for some reason I am always reminded of the event when this day arrives. That's me on the right as gunner on a 50mm mortar. The man on the left was my assistant gunner, a great guy named Gus Wozniak. We were in the weapons platoon, Company G, 179th Regimental Combat Team which was a part of the 45th Infantry Division.

2 comments:

Bruce L. Snell said...

That's pretty cool not to mention unexpected. Nobody's been posting here for awhile and I'm glad to see new material.

I wonder is Wozniak is related to the Wozniak that helped start Apple computer?

-Bruce

Ruth or Joe said...

I doubt it, Gus was an auto mechanic by trade and was, because of that, lucky in getting transford to Service Company. He was from Elkhart, Indiana. Probably not related, do you think?

Dad