Ruth and I finished our first "routine" day at the Cotton-O'Neil Cancer Center today and it was much faster than yeserday. Our appointment for the radiation was at nine with chemo at 9:15 and both appointments were promptly met. In radiation the routine is a check in, a quick change into hospital trousers, a dash into the rest room then a very few minutes on "the machine." In nothing flat I was through, got dressed and we had hardly sat down in the lobby when Katie, one of our oncology nurses, called us in. Instead of a private room with no windows, this time we were ushered into something like a horse stall (though it smelled much nicer and was certainly cleaner) with a very large window which looked out over a small garden, blooming pear trees and the rehabilitation hospital across the street west. I poured myself a quick cup of coffee then Katie punctured me again and began to drip various fluids into my body. As I understand it I get a saline solution, an anti nausea fluid and the carbolite, then more saline solution each time. All in all it took about 90 minutes. During that time we reclined in our luxurious chairs, watched television, ate candy, drank coffee and hot chocolate and worked the day's crossword puzzle. I was given the option to either leave the "port" in my arm for each day's treatment or to be stuck anew each day. I chose the latter because I didn't want that thing hanging on my arm all day and night. It was really not a bad experience at all. So far I have not had any of the side effects listed as possibles. I am especially glad that the nausea thing hasn't hit me. So far so good. The next three days will be much like today then beginning Monday for three weeks it will be just the radiation. So I probably won't write any more unless I have a sudden and severe side effect which would be of interest to someone other than myself. Thank you all for your kind thoughts and prayers. I have lots of friends including many who are actually family. God has certainly blessed me.
Joe
Tuesday, March 27, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Cool that you're not getting sick. I'd hate that. So far, it's been so smooth for you I think I'll get me some chemo.
-Bruce
Crossword puzzles are fun and a good way to pass the time. Have you tried logic puzzles? Those are a lot of fun. (Just be sure to take along plenty of scrap paper).
Post a Comment